Sunday, August 31, 2014

How to get stuff done and end procrastination - Part 3


Define Your big “WHY” and Goals That Inspire You

Life without a sense of purpose is a life spent toiling in the insignificant and spinning your wheels without actually creating any movement.  Your purpose is your honing mechanism.  It is what allows you to chase and move towards your target no matter what gets in your way.  It is what guides every action and every choice you make.  Choices about what to eat, what to do, what projects to take on and what people to spend time with become easier when you are living a life of purpose.  When you can set powerful goals that inspire you, the results become magical.

I remember when I first decided to move to Singapore.  It was a big, audacious goal.  Nobody in my family had ever lived overseas and most people I know lived a life playing everything very safe.  Most people I know went to a safe school, lived in a safe and comfortable area, and took a safe job.  And here I was deciding to quit everything I knew and leave everyone that meant the world to me and take a job on the other side of the world in a country I was not familiar with, with a company I did not really know, a culture that was completely new to me and I did not even have a place to live.  As crazy as it seemed, that was my goal.  And it was completely in line with my purpose which is “the continual pursuit of personal mastery while creating an extraordinary impact on as many lives as possible.”  My goal was my target and my purpose was my honing mechanism.

I took off from the USA to Singapore about 3.5 years ago in the pursuit of my purpose and my goal. I had a goal to create a mega chiropractic office and transform the lives of thousands of people while experiencing an extraordinary life of adventure, travel, and relationships.  I then created more specific goals around accomplishing each of these things.  This was completely in line with my purpose as well.  The only way I could meet my purpose of transforming as many lives as possible would be by pursuing mastery in all the areas of my life: physically, mentally, socially, emotionally, spiritually, and financially.  Now the road has not always been easy.  I have had relationships that did not work out; days, weeks, or even months that did not go as planned; I have had really stressful periods of time in my life; and I have had things that really knocked me back on my butt.  And you know what?  If it was not for my purpose I would have given up on my goals a long time ago.  I would not be sitting here on a Sunday night writing this message to you.  I would not be waking up at 5:30 in the morning to prepare and plan for my day.  Do you think I love waking up at 5:30? Most days I hate it, but when something serves your purpose, the choices you make become easier and it reshapes every area of your life.  

Create a purpose that inspires you and goals that challenge you to fulfill your purpose.  If there is truly a life worth living, this is it.

Love,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment