Friday, November 22, 2013

Do you need to clean up your life?

Anyone that knows me knows I do not have a great reputation for having organized personal spaces.  Sure, the main area of my office and home look great, but it isn’t uncommon for my room, desk, personal office, closet, and even my computer to look like a tornado has hit it.  Living in a city, I do not have a car anymore, but when I had a car, it was usually a mess as well.  I just never placed a high value on keeping those things clean.  After all very few people were going to see those places and the ones that did, I was close enough with to not really care if they thought I was messy or not.  I remember the first time a few years back I heard a professional speaker illustrate his distaste for messiness because of how it carries over into all areas of life.  He stated, “Watch out for a messy car. A messy car equals messy panties.”  That analogy, while crude and tasteless, holds tremendous value and truth.  How you are in one area of your life reflects all areas of your life.  Living one area of your life exceptionally does not give you permission to be a mess in another area.  Living an exceptional life requires a commitment to all areas of life. Life is not a zero sum game. 


Unfortunately, while that comment stuck with me, it never made an impact on me enough to stimulate a lasting change.  Why? Simple.  Because I associated more pain with taking the time to file papers on my desk than the eye-sore of a messy desk.  I associated more pain with the time to straighten up my room than I did to the clutter that it had on my life.  I knew that all that clutter was creating blockages in my life, even if it was only metaphorically although I am sure it had physical manifestations as well, but it did not create enough of an emotional impact for me to change it.  The truth is that I do not enjoy the mess and the clutter.  I just did a really good job ignoring it.  I finally decided I needed to “clean up my life.” So I did things like I do when I commit to anything. I went all out and did not just put a few papers away.  I went into just about every nook and cranny and straightened everything out, even the stuff that is hidden.  I still have a few things to clean up but almost all of my personal spaces, even my computer, have gone through major transformations in the last couple of weeks. 

Here is the really cool thing.  Although I did not have an ulterior motive in “cleaning up my life,” it has positively carried over into other areas of my life.  Literally, the moment I decided to start cleaning up, the practice improved.  More people started referring friends and family in for care.  More people have been renewing their commitment to chiropractic care and the improvement in their health. There has been more synergy between the staff in the office.  My quality of sleep has improved.  When you clean up ANY area of your life, it affects EVERY area of your life. 

What are you waiting for? Pick up mop and start cleaning!

Love,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment