Saturday, August 24, 2013

Would you love to always function at your peak?



As Jim Collins so famously stated, “Good is the enemy of great.”  Most of us do not have great lives because we have settled for good lives.  We do not have great relationships, bodies, finances, and peace of mind primarily because we live good, decent, or even mediocre lives.   There are so few truly successful people that live extraordinarily in all areas of life because that would take an extraordinary amount of work.  It would take the tenacity to get bruised, knocked down, and beat up and to choose to continue on the path.  It takes the mental capacity to be vulnerable and admit our struggles and challenges but continue to persevere anyway.  It takes the time, effort, and intense focus of creating a purpose and a standard of principles for our lives and become unwavering in our commitment to adhere to those principles.  It is easy to talk about integrity, character, goals, and standards, but it takes living on a completely different level to be able to devote our lives to actually living at that level.  It is not just for the chosen few or the outrageously talented.  It is for anybody who wants it bad enough to turn the “shoulds” in our life into “musts.”  I learned from Anthony Robbins that most people just “should” all over themselves.  “I know I should exercise.” Never going to happen! It needs to be a “must.” “I must exercise. I must meditate. I must eat healthy. I must learn and grow everyday.” It doesn’t take a long time to change your life.  All it takes is a decision!  It takes a decision to never again accept anything less than excellence.  It takes a decision to live your life in the realm of extraordinary, spectacular, amazing, and mind-blowing. 

We must monitor every thought, every feeling, and every action and ask ourselves if these are thoughts, feelings, and actions that the ideal image of ourselves would make or do.  If not, change it immediately.  The true masters are not perfect.  It only appears that way because the speed at which they transform a self-defeating thought or detrimental action is so fast it is imperceptible to normal people.  Living at this level begins with a choice to never again accept living at the level you are currently operating on, but that must be backed by a fortress-like drive and commitment to develop a masterful level of consciousness, self-awareness, and evaluation of everything that you do.

People that tell me they want to create a new standard for themselves say to me all the time things like “Well I am just not a morning person.  I don’t like waking up early.  I enjoy eating pizza too much.  I don’t want to work everyday. I just can’t get into that book.” And the list goes on and on.  Do you think I like waking up at 5:30 am on a Saturday?  Do you think I don’t crave pizza and French fries? Do you really think I am captivated by every book that I read?  Absolutely not.  I crave pizza just as much as the next person.  I enjoy sleeping in and being lazy all day and I am really good at it when given the chance to do so!  However, I have come to a point in my life where sleeping in is not as powerful as being the best I can be to serve my patients.  Eating pizza is not powerful enough to keep me from creating the body I have always dreamed about.  The benefit of reading personal finance, personal development, and spiritual books has far outweighed the drudge of sifting through some of the stuff that has many times put me to sleep before I finished reading even a single page. 

It hasn’t always been that way though.  There was a time when I would have laughed at you if you told me I’d ever wake up before 8 am.  There was a time when I literally had no control over the food I ate and I was a victim to my food vices.  There was a time when I only read fun, fiction novels because doing what was fun and interesting was more important to me than doing what I needed to do to transform my life.  If you are feeling stuck and you don’t know when or where to begin, the answer is now and with something.  Every great sage and master of this world began right where you are.  The difference is they decided that the path to enlightenment, success, and happiness was forged through hard work, commitment, and presence.  They made a choice that nothing was more powerful than the path that leads to magnificence.  When you finally make that decision, the universe will conjure everything you have ever dreamed about and the life you would love to live will manifest before your very eyes.

Love,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment