Friday, May 24, 2013

The face of inspiration



Life is made up of a series of magic moments.  These are moments that move, touch, and inspire you in a way that your life will never be the same again.  These moments may come from a song, an experience, everyday interactions with people, a movie, or many other seemingly insignificant things.  Every moment has the potential to be magical if we open our mind and heart and pay attention.  I just had one of these moments this morning when I went online and came across the beautiful and moving story of Zach Sobiech.  This is a story of a boy who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and was only given months to live.  He decided he was going to leave his mark on the world and wrote a touching song called “Clouds.”  The boy was so inspiring they decided to do a documentary on him.  I watched the documentary this morning and was moved in a way that I will never be the same again.  Here is what I learned:

1 “You don’t have to find out you’re dying to start living.”
           
Many of us live our lives putting off to tomorrow what we would love to do today.  We live by the “Some day…” motto.  Some day I will travel to the places I dream of.  Some day I will start to exercise.  Some day I will change my career to something I would love to do.  Some day, some day, some day.  The devastation of “some day” is that it may never come.  We never know what tomorrow will bring.  We need to live today in 2 ways: as if tomorrow will never come and in a way we want to be remembered by our family, friends, and society forever.

2 Decide to make people happy.
            
There is no greater life than dedicating and committing your life to something greater than yourself.  I have found there is no greater joy than dedicating myself to a life of service to humanity.  Everyday I walk into my office and dedicate myself to delivering the highest quality of care to my patients with a level of love and presence unmatched anywhere in the world.  Do I accomplish that?  I am not so sure but I hope my patients feel my level of love and intention to make a difference in their lives.  I also try to do this in every aspect of my life.  Serve the people around you. Make them happy, and it will be impossible for you not to make yourself happy in the process.

3 Tell the people you love that you love them and tell them often.
            
Do you know that feeling you get when someone you love says “I love you?”  You know, the feeling like you are the most amazing and most important person in the world?  And I am not just talking about the “love you” you may hear in passing.  I am talking about the fully committed and present “I Love You” that makes your heart melt.  I thought so.  People feel the same when you do it to them as well.  Love is meant to be shared.  Don’t keep it to yourself.  If you don’t tell them, they may never know.  And by that time, it may be too late. 

Although Zach just passed away a few days ago on May 20, 2013, just shortly after his 18th birthday, his spirit lives on in the millions of lives he has touched through the way he lived his life.  Our lives are determined by the choices we make everyday.  Choose powerful choices and you will live an extraordinary life.  I know Zach did. 

Love,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment