Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mastering your stress

If you truly want to live a life worth living, you must be willing to spend time asking yourself the difficult questions.  What does it even mean to live a life worth living? What is it going to take for me to be rich; in body, mind, and spirit? Yesterday was a day I became rich beyond what I ever could have expected, and it has nothing to do with money.  As I sit on the balcony of my 35th floor condo sipping a freshly brewed mint white tea and looking out over the city as the storm clouds are moving and absorbing the peaks of the buildings as it passes, I reflect on a powerful experience I had in the office yesterday.  In our office, we focus just as much on education and empowerment as we do on the physical aspect of clearing neurological interference and restoring maximum expression of life through the detection and correction of subluxations.  After an amazing and packed morning of seeing patients, we had our quarterly blockbuster workshop called Mastering Your Stress.  It was a powerful afternoon where I shared the five keys to mastering your stress.  I would like to share one of those keys with you. 


It is the concept of "Losing yourself in service to others."  The concept is this.  Live your life with a sense of awareness and consciousness that you are always looking for ways to be of service to humanity. We live lives that are so distant and disconnected from everyone around us.  We are constantly on our cell phones and iPads.  People even push old ladies out of the way because they are in such a rush.  We let doors slam in other people's faces because we are not paying attention.  We ignore the attention from a child and we are so self-absorbed and worried about our own problems, we miss out on the opportunity to be of service to so many people that are in need around us everyday.  And I am not talking about the once a year food drive or the once a year volunteering at the homeless shelter. Those are both powerful things that I believe should be done by everyone, however, what would our society look like if that attitude was taken everyday by all people in some small way?  What would your life look like if you took every opportunity to share a sincere smile with someone, hold a door, or even carry the groceries for an elderly person as you walked out to your car? What would your life look like if you look for opportunities to compliment people and listen to someone who needed you to lend an ear? These things and many others only take a moment or two and can have a ripple effect more profound than you could ever imagine.  This a practice and an awareness I've been incorporating into my everyday life. These things take no more than a moment out of my day, yet provide a level of fulfillment that could not be achieved any other way.  It is as if stress disappears when I lose myself in service to others.

As I shared this message with the crowd in my office yesterday, I was overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude for the opportunity to talk about being of service while I was actually being of service. It had a magnified effect on myself and was at that moment that I realized how powerful it is, for the giver and well as the receiver, to dedicate myself to a life of service.  If you truly want to transform your life, dedicate yourself to a life of transforming those lives around you.  It is impossible to make a difference in the life of another without yours being positively touched in the process.  Now get out there and make a difference.

Love,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment