Sunday, December 16, 2012

Goal Setting 2013

It's really funny how life works sometimes.  Here's the story. I had a plan to work on my goals for 2013 and wanted someone to hold me accountable so I did something that I always wanted to do.  After a full morning in the office on Saturday, I flew from cozy Singapore to the chaotic city of Jakarta for one night to meet one of my best friends in order to set our goals, and ultimately, our life up for success in the coming year and beyond.  We rented a room in a 5 star hotel and intended to spend a few hours Saturday night and then Sunday morning designing the life we would love to live.  Then I would fly home Sunday evening.  Everything work out exactly as planned.  Actually it worked out better than planned.... Until it didn't. In a city known for its intense traffic jams that regularly last for hours upon hours, it was as if the the roads opened up just for me.  I hit virtually no traffic coming from the airport upon my arrive into the city as well as no traffic leaving to go back to the airport the following day.  I arrived and we had a spectacular dinner followed by a few very productive hours of goal setting.  Everything worked out so well, I even forgot my charger but the business center had an extra one I could borrow for free.  To top that off, I ran into one of the members of Guns and Roses in the elevator who I chatted with because he was in town to perform a concert and happened to be staying at the same hotel.  Very cool.  Then Sunday morning came and we had a great goal setting session followed by a breakfast made for kings followed by more goal setting. Soon after I made my way back to the airport without a hitch.  I leisurely walked around the airport and got on the plane with plenty of time to spare.  Everything was even going so well, the flight was designed to leave early.  Perfect. Now, remember I said everything worked out better than planned... Until it didn't? Here's where it didn't.  As I sit down on the plane and settle into my seat for a short flight back to Singapore, excited to arrive relatively early to settle in for an early night and prepare for a big day in the office tomorrow, we get an announcement.  There is something wrong with the air traffic control center, and we may be delayed for 20-30 minutes.  I am no flight expert but  it didn't sound like a 20-30 minute problem to me.  Well 30 minutes later, they get on the loud speaker and make another announcement, "The problem is worse than expected and there is no end in sight for the resolution.  Please be patient." This was a real test for me.  Actually it was more of an opportunity.  In my past, patience and looking for the positives in challenging situations was not one of my virtues.  I would have been annoyed and pissed off and would have just sat frustrated and negating the benefit of my entire weekend over in Jakarta.  I would have told myself I am never doing this again because something always goes wrong.  Except... What if I told myself a different story this time? What if instead of living in self pity that my fight was delayed and we could be sitting here for hours upon hours, I told myself a different story? How about instead of looking at myself jammed in a tiny window seat like a sardine with nothing to do, I told myself that I had my own private workstation free from cell phone interruptions and Internet distractions? How about instead of looking at this as a punishment, I looked at it as a gift to review my goals, read, and write? Well, that's exactly what I did! I literally started writing this blog during the delay with a smile on my face and not an ounce of frustration.  I was excited to have focused time, free from distraction to write and read.  I started this blog with the uncertainty of when we would take off and I was enjoying the solitude of being connected with my iPad notepad and my thoughts.  An hour and a half into the delay and halfway into the blog, they came on the loud speaker and made an announcement that we were clear for take off and we needed to turn off all our electronic devices.  Funny thing happened.  I was actually a bit disappointed I was being interrupted during my writing for take off!  Now I am 30,000 feet in the air, finishing my blog and sharing this experience with you.  And do you know what it all came down to? Perspective and presence.  My number one goal from this weekend is to live in the NOW; to bring an intentional presence to every moment in my life; to look for the gifts and opportunities in every situation.  This proved not to be a punishment, but instead provided me with 2 gifts - to practice my number one goal for the new year and share my experience with you in hopes that in some small way, this touches your life and inspires you to look for the gifts in every challenge and the opportunities in every set back.  Now get moving and set your goals for 2013.  

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete